Last Type 45 and Ark Royal

Warships in the news and what they are up to.

Moderators: Admhawk, gingyer, brianc

Last Type 45 and Ark Royal

Postby simonbyard on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:02 am

Was in Portsmouth this week, and thought I'd share some sad photos. Firstly there was nearly the entire fleet of type 45's (well three or four, and that's the sad bit that that IS nearly the entire fleet! :evil: ) but interestingly, they at least all (of the completed ones) had the CIWS fitted, and the last type 45 was there- -the bridge still strecth wrapped :mrgreen: as delivred from the builders, waiting her weopons to be fitted - photos below
Image is hidden from guests, please register and login to view it

Also, behind the 23's and 42's was a sad looking Ark Royal - a few glimpses below

Apparantly it's confirmed she has been sold for 3 million to a diving consortium, who plan to sink her for a diving resort!! Better than being broken up for scrap, but even so that is fecking ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

On a good note, had a great time in the dockyard - HMS Victory (and had a tour underneath - fecking big timbers!), Warrior, and on the Big Ticket, got over to the sub museum, and looked around Alliance - great WW2 sub. On Thursday had a tour round the musuem and HMNB Devonport, and around HMS Courageus - an old 70's nuclear sub - well happy now.
:D
Last edited by simonbyard on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonbyard
Rear-Admiral

Re: Last Type 45 and Ark Royal

Postby nige on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 am

Is that the Mrs in the middle on the last shot ???

LMFAO

Nige
Last edited by nige on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
nige
Rear-Admiral

Postby type45 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi Simon,

Some good shots there mate I can see you're clocking up "sea time" onboard one of the pompey harbour tour boats! Theres still another T45 to come mate D37 HMS Duncan which will be the last T45 to be made. Glad you enjoyed your tour around Guzz dockyard its a pity I was not there to meet a fellow forum member, but work had me somewhere else instead that day hopefully there might be an oppurtinity in the near future.

All the best,

Robbie
Our motto is “Honor clarissima gemma” (Honour is the brightest jewel)

http://www.fleetscale.com/forum/showthread.php?255-Type-45-HMS-Dragon-1-72-Scale
type45
Vice-Admiral

Postby simonbyard on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:44 pm

nige wrote:Is that the Mrs in the middle on the last shot ???

LMFAO

Nige

haha tw@t! Although, if you listen to my other 'arf, she thinks its a similar age difference the other way (16 years). I would say she loves me for my body, but old, fat n sweaty aint that attractive!
simonbyard
Rear-Admiral

Postby simonbyard on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:02 pm

type45 wrote:Hi Simon,

Some good shots there mate I can see you're clocking up "sea time" onboard one of the pompey harbour tour boats! Theres still another T45 to come mate D37 HMS Duncan which will be the last T45 to be made. Glad you enjoyed your tour around Guzz dockyard its a pity I was not there to meet a fellow forum member, but work had me somewhere else instead that day hopefully there might be an oppurtinity in the near future.

All the best,

Robbie

The museum was interesting, but the highlight were the ship models there - in particular, a superb type 22 model with a gold badge in the case (I'm sure you know the one.) The other week when I made my chaff lockers, I remember thinking I was pretty pleased with myself, and thought how good they were - and then I saw that model, and his lockers were in another galaxy to mine! Was pretty depressed that I could never approach that level of detail, haha - but what a model. Unfortunately, as the invite papers said no mobiles, or electronic recording equip etc., allowed on the base, I didn't have a camera with me, and was gutted when I was told it was actually ok to take a few snaps! Incidentally, do you know John Brindley (think I got his last name right). I mentioned I was in contact with you, describing your models etc., and he did say, if it you were who he though it was, to say you were on toilet roll duty together :D Sound guy, and made the tour round the museum so much more interesting than just having a look at a few old exhibits.

The old nuclear sub was good - I went on HMS Alliance the day before (the old diesel Churchill class from WW2), and the difference was amazing, but was a sad sight to see the five or so other nukes just floating there waiting to be scrapped. Even more interesting was that the one that sunk the Belgrano was berthed opposite, also waiting for scrap, and the guy taking me around said part of the reason they weren't using that for a museum sub, was so the MOD didn't offend anyone because of it's history, which I thought was bizzare. Surely it's historical context would make it even more of a candidate to save for the museum.

Sadly couldn't get on a 23, but will try again, when one that isn't being worked on is in dock
Last edited by simonbyard on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonbyard
Rear-Admiral

Postby mattomurph101 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:23 pm

selling the 6th 45 what the heck is wrong with the MOD
mattomurph101
Able Rate

Postby TIGERFAN1 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Matt where you get that about selling last T45? no mention on Mod Sites
TIGERFAN1
Petty Officer