HMS Vanguard Search Lights and Guns

This topic for any Battleship or Cruiser type ships

Moderators: Admhawk, gingyer, brianc

HMS Vanguard Search Lights and Guns

Postby RobinD on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi,
for my 1/128 Fleetscale Vanguard I'm after a couple of bits of info.

1] Despite ploughing through numerous reference books, I can find nothing about any large search lights fitted [not signal lights]. Raven and Roberts shows them on everything else, even the Lions, but not Vanguard.

Despite that Quaycraft's Vanguard fittings kit supplies 4, probably 36", [and 6 signal lamps]. Does anyone know if she ever actually had any? Maybe they were obsolete by 1946 due to radar? None show on photos. If she did have any, where were they mounted?

2] I have all 15" turrets traversing, elevating, flash firing and sound effect now, but has anyone done a realistic smoke effect for a salvo? Not cold vapour or hot wire glycerine types. Too slow reacting. Needs a small cartridge- a 'cap' or similar perhaps?

Any help on either appreciated.
Thanks
Robin
RobinD
Able Rate

Re: HMS Vanguard Search Lights and Guns

Postby gingyer on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:27 pm

Robin,
Looking at the pictures from the builders model in the thread by Mari Mike there doesn't seem to be any or any platforms for them. I would proceed on the assumption there was none fitted.

Some people on model boat mayhem have been experimenting with cold vapour for the smoke effects you are looking for, others have used black powder charges. I would look there for information

Colin
Colin
gingyer

Postby RobinD on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:48 am

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the response.
Yes, i looked at those pics too- very helpful. However that model does not tally exactly with what came out of John Brown's yard!! Quite often the case it seems.
Like yourself, i could see no platforms either on that model or on real ship photos, so i think you are correct -there were none- just signal lamps.

I've already got a 'cold steam' generator on the 2 funnels. It is a bit slow to start, but maybe a separate blower pump out from it to the turrets when it is already running might be more immediate, though the black powder idea might produce better colour smoke- if I don't blow the ship up! I'll follow that up.
We'll see if anybody else has any more knowledge on either.
thanks again.
Robin
RobinD
Able Rate

Postby TIGERFAN1 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:04 pm

TIGERFAN1
Petty Officer

Postby rsm on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Hope this helps:
URL is hidden from guests, please register and login to view the hyperlink
rsm
Leading Hand

Postby rsm on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:36 pm

For a nice STAAG, Bofors Mk.VI and Mk.VII for your Vanguard you could also try here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dboats?section=1%2F128&s=0
rsm
Leading Hand

Return to Battleships and Cruisers