Ships Hulls

From wood to steel and beyond.

Moderators: Admhawk, gingyer, brianc

Ships Hulls

Postby TheLongBuild on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:29 am

Looking at the picture posted of HMS Illustrious FRont on Bow Shot in the Carriers Thread I was wondering why it appears as if the ship is semi anorexic as in all te hull plating is all pushed inwards in each square showing the bulkheads..Is this a deliberate feature or just the pounding of the water against them over time ?
and is it more common with the modern warship ?
Buy it , Build it (Over an extended period of time) , Play with it.. :twisted: Larry
http://www.runcornmodelboats.co.uk
TheLongBuild
Rear-Admiral

Postby gingyer on Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:34 am

I was at the launch today of
HMS Diamond and have been to a few others and they
are built like that. I was told that it is the way the steel is welded
to the hulls but I do not under stand it either
Colin
gingyer

Postby Admhawk on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:45 am

Ya, pretty well all modern warships are like that. Some it's hard to see if the light isn't right, but it's there.
Darren :twisted:
Admhawk

Postby DW on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 am

The effect you see on warship hulls is termed "structural deflection" and is indeed associated with the welding process. As heat is applied to the plate the metal will expand and as it cools so the metal will contract. As such a weld on cooling and contracting has the effect of pulling the plate with it , producing the distortion you see in the plates.
DW
DW
Admiral

Structural deflection

Postby badbunny on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:42 pm

Does the extent of this effect change with varying temperature conditions? The reason I ask is that on different photos of the same ships the effect is sometimes clearly visible, and sometimes hardly at all, and I don't think this is just down to subtle light differences affecting the appearance of the photos. Can any eyeball experiences clarify this for me? Thanks, Pete.
badbunny
Petty Officer

Postby Admhawk on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 pm

You'd be surprised at how much varying light conditions will change the effect. I have many photos that show it and then don't, based on what angle I am shooting from. (and the angle doesn't change much!)

That said, I have noticed that the effect is more pronounced on our older ships (I'm thinking age and wave action, but I could be wrong!) and temp would have to play at least some part in the extent of it.
Admhawk

Re: Structural deflection

Postby DW on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:45 pm

badbunny wrote:Does the extent of this effect change with varying temperature conditions? The reason I ask is that on different photos of the same ships the effect is sometimes clearly visible, and sometimes hardly at all, and I don't think this is just down to subtle light differences affecting the appearance of the photos. Can any eyeball experiences clarify this for me? Thanks, Pete.

It's not so much varying temprature conditions that creates the extent of weld distortion but often in the method used.
DW
DW
Admiral

Postby DW on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:11 pm

This photo of HMS Bristol is a classic as it high lights the effects of plate distortion . The effect is very difficut to reproduce on a model , I've only seen it done once , Eric Dyke a much respected builder of miniature models scratch built a 1:350 Type 82 and captured the effect remarkably well .
Image is hidden from guests, please register and login to view it

DW
DW
Admiral

Postby Holmsey on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:28 am

Here is a picture of David Brown's HMS Cornwall at Ascot. He seems to have made an excellent job of the effect. I found the whole model inspiring (as you can see this is photo number 161!!!)
Image is hidden from guests, please register and login to view it
Holmsey
Holmsey

Postby DW on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:05 am

With the results achived by David Brown ,It may well be possible to mould the effect in to a GRP hull? Thanks David for posting such a superb picture
DW
DW
Admiral

Postby Madrob on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:11 am

holmsey you got any more pictures of that you can put up, that is just awe inspiring

ps what scale is that?
Madrob
Admiral

Postby Daryl on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:55 am

Excellent picture of Bristol, any idea when it was taken?

I hope to start our soon sdjigh~~~
Daryl
Chief

Postby GLASGOWARSHIPTEAM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:49 pm

fantastic, would love to know how he did the plating effect on David Brown's HMS Cornwall
GLASGOWARSHIPTEAM

Postby PeeWee on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:08 pm

one can only aspire to greatness, and that model has to be up there with the greats
PeeWee
Rear-Admiral

Postby Admhawk on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:16 pm

It's a painstaking process of tediously laying down a grid of either fine wood stip or 10 thou plastic strip, then in manageable sections, using lepages white glue, laying a very thin(like a plastic grocery bag, thin) layer of plastic over top and pressing the center of each grid in.

Actually, I don't know how Mr.Brown did it, but that's how I would do it, if I wanted to torture myself. jhj~~
Admhawk

Next

Return to Hull designs and development