Fittings or printer

Ask the questions you want the answers to and maybe someone can help.

Moderators: Admhawk, gingyer, brianc

Fittings or printer

Postby Dan_ashton on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:31 am

Hi all got a bit of a dilemma have got enough money to either buy the full pack of fittings for my next project but this money I's also enough to buy a 3d printer instead and I m not sure what to do any ideas lol
Dan
Dan_ashton
Leading Hand

Re: Fittings or printer

Postby brianc on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:15 am

I was thinking the same thing a while back, but the cost of a printer with high enough resolution to give a satisfactory finish, was just too prohibitive.
I`ve seen results from many printers in the £400-£1500 range and to be perfectly honest, the results were pretty poor, I wouldn't use anything made by them on my models.
I`ve given up on the idea totally now, I just make my own and buy the stuff that's not worth making myself. Just my opinion fvjfo
measure once ...then measure again.

Once Navy...Always Navy.
brianc

Postby marinemole on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:42 pm

Have no experience of actual 3d printing or printers, but have had items produced by a commercial studio who use SLS technology. See
URL is hidden from guests, please register and login to view the hyperlink

Based on this experience I reckon it is a more cost effective approach than buying a printer, unless, of course, it's the actual experience of 3d printing you are after.

However it did entail a LOT of time on the computer producing the necessary drawing files and,to me, this is the crux of the matter. Do you have STL files for the fittings you wish to make and, if not, the CAD experience to produce them? If neither of these then I would question the wisdom of buying a machine, other than as an interesting stand alone project.

For fittings required in quantity the time and effort spent on CAD is probably justified but I have taken as long to draw some items as it would have taken to scratch build them. Then again, once you have the drawing it's a bit like having a master/mould, you can produce stuff for future builds and for friends.

Some random ramblings from me. Should you decide to go for a printer please keep us updated, I'm sure many people on the forum will be very interested in your experiences.

Andy
Lobby your MP......make Moles a protected species.
marinemole
Captain

Postby Dan_ashton on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:18 pm

I do have experience in modelling but like you say time s a big factor which is making me think leave it t's took me a year and a bit to do my last project so finding time for modelling would be a struggle so think I ll be leaving the printer cheers for the imput
Dan
Dan_ashton
Leading Hand

Return to Building Advice